You can't start up your server, hit the page in one language, change the
language setting in your browser, and hit the page again and expect it to
change languages.  Struts sets the language in the session the first time
you hit the site and not after that.  This may be causing your strange
problems.

Also, sometimes even after restarting tomcat my page wouldn't change
languages so I think it reloaded my old session from disk or something.
Generally, I've found that stopping the server and then changing your
language works but not always.

I would not allow direct access to your index.jsp files.  Create an
index.jsp that redirects to a struts action (through the controller) that
forwards to index2.jsp (your real index page).  That way, you're going
through the controller for every request and can do some common security or
logging there.

Dave