I'm not sure that this is correct.  One of the standard classes shipped with Struts is
AddMappingAction:

public class AddMappingAction
extends Action

A standard Action that calls the addMapping() method of our controller servlet to add
a new action mapping definition dynamically. The new definition replaces any existing
definition for the same name. This action expects request parameters whose names match
the properties of ActionMapping.

This says to me that you can use a "skeleton" struts-config.xml file and add all your
action-mappings "manually" at runtime if you so desire.  Someone correct me if this is
wrong.

peace,
Joe