Have you looked at the source code yet?  That would be the definitive
source (d'oh! pun!).  The primary area you want to look at is
ActionServlet.java.  If you follow the directions on the jakarta site
for accessing CVS and checkout a copy of the source, you can then locate
ActionServlet.java in the following directory:

jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/action/ActionServlet.java

Basically, what it comes down to is that, you really can't do this sort
of thing unless you extend ActionServlet and ... write it so that you
can :-)  Any attempt to modify the application configuration during
run-time will meet with an exception being thrown.  It's all right there
in the source - go have a look.

--
Eddie Bush