I don't understand what you mean.  I believe the ASF license is such
that you can include things from them (you need to give credit somehow
for what you do use), but not have to do anything special.  You wouldn't
have to make it open-source or anything like that.

I suppose you mean your employer wants to be sure that THEY are not sued
for a copyright/patent infringement.  I don't see how it would arise.
 Everything is meant to be given away and built upon.  Given away by
them and built upon by us.  We may use it however we see fit.  You
really should give credit for what you use though.

I think probably the final word would come from a lawyer.  You could get
a copy of the license agreement from the web and go over it with a
lawyer.  Hopefully someone more familiar with legal matters can give you
better advice.  I'm not sure I fully understand your circumstance :-)

--
Eddie Bush