Well, it can't be Oracle, HP, or IBM, since they all seem to have no problem
using O/S products and incorporating O/S software into their own products. And I
guess it can't be any of the growing roster of multibillion dollar companies
from all industries. I guess they trust themselves.

And then there is .Net.

Best of luck with your effort.

"Malcolm Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09/23/2002 05:04:53 PM

Please respond to "Struts Users Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

cc:    (bcc: Joseph Sadove/DKBDS USA/DKB)

Subject:  RE: Indemnification & copyright

I appreciate everybody’s comments.

This problem extends beyond Struts, but to all freeware,
opens source, etc, inside this particular organization.  The
organization is a multi-billion dollar IT firm, (I will
leave it at that).

1.  The contribution of the copyright or patent material
might be totally accidental in nature.
2.  Apache does not indemnify the software against copyright
or patent infringement.

I like the ‘receipt for cheap car stereo’ analogy.

Microsoft paid $100 Million over ‘accidental patent material
’ regarding DoubleDisk technology.  How accidental I don’t
know.  But this is the fear of these corporate lawyers.

- Malcolm