I think the main risk is due to the nature of the patent process, the
difficulty of patent searches, and the apparent ineptitude of the US PTO.
It's certainly possible that an Apache committer could inadvertently violate
a patent, just as any other developer might.

The copyright issue cannot be ruled out, but I think the risk there is very
minimal. Given that Apache is a meritocracy, the chances of one of the
committers being dumb enough to commit copyrighted code in full view of the
community is very small (albeit non-zero).

I would suggest that you contact the ASF directly, rather than looking at
this from the project level. You can look at the ASF Bylaws here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html

and the primary contact information is here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/contact.html

--
Martin Cooper