Your problem is that you are probably deploying the struts action with a
.do mapping, whereas your user friendly name doesn't end in that
extension and thus it never hits the struts framework for your global
forward to work.

Try writing or locating a servlet that you can map to that friendly name
that will do a dispatch to the appropriate login .do. The form itself
could post to your .do, but if you want a user-friendly entry point that
you can publish or give verbally, your /performLogin would be a servlet
that forwards to your login.do. Its about 2 lines of servlet code and an
entry in your web.xml to do what you want.

James