From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2002 2:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Guidelines for choosing forward or redirect?

I'm looking for something which summarizes the guidelines for when to choose
"forward" or a "redirect".

Related to this, the two basic issues I'm aware of are:
1. Preserving the request parameters, and request-scope beans.
2. The resulting browser URL field.
3. Redirect takes longer, depending on network load.

Are there any other basic issues related to this?

The first issue pushes you down the "forward" path if you have request
parameters or request-scope beans which you need to preserve from step to
step.

The second issue basically asks the question: "What will happen if the user
reloads this page or stores it as a bookmark (and later reloads it)?"

The third issue is relatively clear, but I'm unsure of the relative effects
of
that.