The only "implementation differences" would be in the way you configure
it.  The use of it (from within your application) is governed by the
spec, so there's not a lot of "wiggle room".  The configuration,
however, is not governed by the spec ... so how it is setup will
certainly vary from container to container :-(

I always use Tomcat, so it isn't an issue to me.  A buddy stuck on iAS
3.5 was visiting with me about their approach and I suggested CMA to him
(over implementing it in *every* servlet! ... no, they had no
"utilitarian" functions they were calling - they were actually
reimplementing it).  Turns out on iAS 3.5 there's a servlet you can
configure for this.  In Tomcat, I just setup a JDBCRealm (there are
other Realm implementations) and I'm done - piece of cake.

--
Eddie Bush