From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 02:27
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Using CheckLogin tag from within tiles

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:

> Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:22:23 -0500
> From: Eddie Bush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Using CheckLogin tag from within tiles
>
> Oh - one more thing.  Filters really are a lot more flexible in that
> they can be deployed with the application.  I've heard of instances
> where hosting providers wouldn't configure realms for folks (nor would
> they do anything else that required a server config change) - and that
> is where a Filter would become an absolute necessity!

One other thing to note about any non-CMA approach -- they don't help you
much (if at all) if you are accessing EJBs from your actions.  From the
point of view of the EJB container, all these requests will appear to be
from an unauthanticated user identity.  You can establish a <run-as>
identity in web.xml for these cases, but this applies to *all* EJB calls.

If you want the EJB layer to be able to make role-based access decisions
depending on who the logged in user is, you must use container managed
security.

> David Graham wrote:
>
> > I've never used CMA because of potential implementation differences
> > across containers.  Are those fears justified?  I have used the Filter
> > approach and found it to be easy and portable.
> >
> > Dave
>
> --
> Eddie Bush

Craig