I have seen strange behavior like this with Tomcat 4.1.8 (and higher).
It PI##ED me off so bad that I was forced to go back to 4.0.4, but it seems
that 4.1.12 is a lot better.

Not sure if that helps you.

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)