Can a struts app work with sessions disabled on the application server? If so, what do I need to change? Finally, why does struts use sessions (it's not obvious to me what struts does that is beyond the scope of a request)?

Background:

I'm building a struts application that cannot depend on the application server session (the app will run on a cluster of app servers that don't share sessions). I've coded my app to only use the request context for beans etc., and to not use the session context at all. However, when I disable sessions on the application server, my app stops working (can't even get to the first login jsp, let alone the struts main servlet).

Thanks,

Brad Harding