On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Brad Harding wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:17:10 -0800
> From: Brad Harding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: can struts work with sessions disabled?
>
> Can a struts app work with sessions disabled on the application server?

As long as your app doesn't use sessions, this should be ok.

> If
> so, what do I need to change? Finally, why does struts use sessions (it's
> not obvious to me what struts does that is beyond the scope of a request)?

The only Struts feature that requires sessions is the saving of the user's
preferred locale.  Of course, you're allowed to use the session for form
beans as well.

> Background:
>
> I'm building a struts application that cannot depend on the application
> server session (the app will run on a cluster of app servers that don't
> share sessions). I've coded my app to only use the request context for
> beans etc., and to not use the session context at all. However, when I
> disable sessions on the application server, my app stops working (can't
> even get to the first login jsp, let alone the struts main servlet).

Without details (such as error messages from your log files), that's
pretty hard to debug.

> Thanks,
>
> Brad Harding

Craig