There's actually some Commons Collections support for this type of approach - see:

org.apache.commons.collections.ListUtils.lazyList

Of course, one potential problem with this is if someone can forge a request
with *lots* of parameters that will cause your list/array to gobble up all
available memory...

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>