I have a superclass, RuleForm, with some subclasses, like ImportRule and ExportRule.
In my struts-config file, I specify that my actions deal with  a form-bean named
ruleForm in session scope which is defined as type RuleForm. However, the actual class
of the bean will usually be ImportRule or ExportRule, not RuleForm.

Or this is what I'd like to work. I am seeing behavior that looks like Struts will not
accept the subclasses as substitutes for the superclass. But this behavior may be due
to my application logic, not Struts. So I'm hoping someone will tell me whether Struts
supports this or not.

The Struts user guide and JavaDoc for ActionFormBean say that the type attribute
contains the java class type for the form bean. I just find this somewhat ambiguous,
given inheritance.

Thanks,

Derek Richardson