Since I am forced to be on Struts 1.0.2 I haven't used Struts-EL or JSTL.  However,
going by what I have read about them and seeing the discussions on this list I *think*
they (EL and <nested>) serve different purposes.  The <nested> tags provide an
intuitive way of using your object oriented data structure in your JSPs.

It is quite onerous to use Struts tags (<html>, <logic>, etc) when you want to depict
parent-child or other hierarchical data.  Arron Bates has done a great job of filling
this void with the <nested> tags by extending (literally) the Struts tags.  As a
trivial example, if your form-bean has a collection of People objects each of which
contains a collection of car objects each of which ... The following will display the
names of the people and their cars.

<nested:iterate property="allPeople">
  <nested:write property="fullName">
  <nested:iterate property="allCars">
    <nested:write property="carModel">
  </nested:iterate>
</nested:iterate>

That's not just all that it can do.  It supports the commonly used directory structure
notation of .. (one level up) to walk up and down a hierarchy, etc. etc.  Peaked your
interest?  Give http://www.keyboardmonkey.com/next/index.jsp a look-see -- you'll like
it.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Wendy Smoak
> Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.
> Arizona State University PA Information Resources Management

Sri