One way is to have validate="flase"
and in your CRUD events manually call validate().

.V

adam kramer wrote:
 I'd like to use a DispatchAction to handle the Create,Read,Update and
Delete actions for an object. But I can't work Read into the mix because
of the action-mapping configuration and the validation setting.
I want form validation to be TRUE for C, U and D but FALSE for Read, else
it never gets to the form because its trying to display the form in the
first place. For instance:

<action	path="/grant"
type="com.bob.struts.actions.GrantDispatchAction"
    		name="grantForm"
    		scope="session"
    		input="/grants/grant.jsp"
    		validate="true"
    		parameter="method">
    		<forward name="success"	path="/grants/grant.jsp"/>
    </action>

You can't have validate both ways.
Has anyone figured out how to integrate READ into the CRUD DispatchAction?
Or do I need to make a different action mapping for READ (for showing a
blank ADD page, and a filled Modify/EDIT page).

thanks in advance,
adam k.