Confused as to what your confusion is.

Are you confused that you see one thing and display another (which I get a lot from my students?).

There are 2 things going on, a client/browser side join not a db/server side join.
Example, you have a formBean with dept "101" a numeric field. You unit test this and CRUD. This is your Form Bean!!
Once you get that, then:
Now you want to display "Marketing" as a drop down instead of 101. So 101-Marketing, 102-Sales, etc. You care a collection, yet another thing you put in scope.
The client side, using select and optionCollection tag displays current dept., and a choice of other depts.
So a user sees "Marketing" drop down, which comes from the name part of collection. But the current value is in the formbean.

.V

Mark wrote:
Okay... But a drop down menu is screen data.

And a list of companies is something that will be used more than once.

So I have a normal class in my model layer

ListCompanies

In my UserAction

(ListCompanies).getCompanies();

But this Action's primary job is to return a list of users (which it does).

As the list is screen data i should be defining this in my form bean? This
is something thats being confusing me for weeks. If i've a bunch of
collections how can i make them available to iterate tags and select menus,
without using useBean (sorry silly design constraint, but beyond my
control).

Hopefully I'm just being silly, i could really do with some pointers as
where i'm missing the point.

Cheers mark

On 13-12-2002 11:49, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"