That's what I thought! BUT...

No! The struts-config.xml file is safely in the .war file. A jar -tf produces.

WEB-INF/lib/xercesImpl.jar
WEB-INF/lib/xmlParserAPIs.jar
WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld
WEB-INF/struts-config.xml
WEB-INF/struts-html.tld
WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld
WEB-INF/struts-nested.tld
WEB-INF/struts-template.tld
WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld
etc.

So its not that! Its GOT to be something really stupid, but the exception handling in
that bit of ActionServlet is a bit coarse grained, so I'm left guessing what the
problem
could be.

HM