In this page :
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/dev_validator.html

the doc says :

The most fundamental change is the ability to conditionally require
validator fields based on the value of other fields. It allows you to define
logic like "only validate this field if field X is non- null and field Y
equals "male".

I think it is possible to do what you want with the validator but don't know
how.