Using the <data-source> element in your struts-config.xml file does *not*
support the use of JNDI to retrieve it.  JNDI is only used for data
sources managed by your container.  For Tomcat 4.1, for example, see:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

The instructions for setting up your web.xml file, and for accessing the
data source in a program, are portable across any container that supports
JNDI based data sources.  The administrative stuff to configure them is
specific to the container.

To access your <data-source> from an Action, you'd simply say (Struts
1.1):

  DataSource ds = getDataSource(request, "FIELDSTONE");

Craig