The book also says that these definitions are put into a definition factory so that
they are available to jsp tags and action forwards.  So the scope appears to be the
definition factory, and there is some auto-magic so that tags and action forwards can
find these definitions.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-Dave