>> The reason is, that I don't want to use utf-8, but ISO-8859-1 for my html
>> pages. And if a "ü" appears in the ISO-8859-1 characterset in the
browser,

> What is wrong with utf-8?

Nothing is wrong with utf-8. Maybe it would be the best to use it, even
though everything is much more complex while handling stuff like the html
form entries, which have to be converted.

The main reason is that our customer has problems with its application
server configuration when I deliver JSPs in utf-8. I don't know what kind of
problems, because it is not possible for me to check the configuration - it
is a high security area where they run their servers, and there are reasons
why I'm not allowed to check it. I just deliver and get the bug reports...
So I think I better use the ISO-8859-1 character set with html characters
like "&amp". It may be stupid, but it eases a lot.

Regards
Bernhard