Date formatString myDate = new SimpleDateFormat("dd MMM yyyy").format( new
java.util.Date() );

comp.lang.java.programmer is a good news group for java language related questions.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Suresh Addagalla
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 9:55 AM
  Subject: Date format

  Hi,

  Please excuse me for the off-topic question, I need this urgently, so
  posting it.

  How can I get the current date format? (style: DateFormat.SHORT, locale:
  Default)

  I used:

  SimpleDateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat() ;
  String format = formatter.toPattern() ;

  It gives:

  M/d/yy hh:mm a

  But what I want is *only* the date part, excluding the time part of it.

  Thanks,
  Suresh