Ok. This is wierd. I posted this in the morning - now its 11pm and it only
just arrived. Maybe I should have used snail mail!

Ah of course - its Friday. Guess the email server is taking it easy... ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Hill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 17 January 2003 11:41
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Date format

Your best bet is to use the static factory methods in the DateFormat class.

ie:
Locale locale = getLocale(request); //Use struts Action method to get locale

dateTimeFormat =
ateFormat.getDateTimeInstance( DateFormat.SHORT,DateFormat.SHORT, locale);
dateFormat = DateFormat.getDateInstance( DateFormat.SHORT, locale);
timeFormat = DateFormat.getTimeInstance( DateFormat.SHORT, locale);

Its all in the javadocs you know. :-)

<btw>
In case you were wondering how the java.util.Date.toString() works, heres
its source code:

public String toString() {
        DateFormat formatter = null;
        if (simpleFormatter != null) {
            formatter = (DateFormat)simpleFormatter.get();
        }
        if (formatter == null) {
            /* No cache yet, or cached formatter GC'd */
            formatter = new SimpleDateFormat("EEE MMM dd HH:mm:ss zzz yyyy",
                                             Locale.US);
            simpleFormatter = new SoftReference(formatter);
        }
        synchronized (formatter) {
            formatter.setTimeZone(TimeZone.getDefault());
            return formatter.format(this);
        }
    }
</btw>