> From: Giri Alwar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Subject: Re: DynaActionForm question

> The DynaActionForm differs from the ActionForm in one
> critical way: the ActionForm class is a real Javabean with
> getter/setters for your properties. Hence it can be used with
> other third party taglibs such as JSTL etc. The
> DynaActionForm does not have getters/setters for your
> properties. The only reason it works with Struts taglibs is
> because Struts taglibs recognize the DynaActionForm as
> something unique and process it differently.

Actually, DynaActionForm works just fine with JSTL, because it
implements a .map getter, so where in a non-DynaForm JSTL you might say:

value="${bean.property}"

You can say

value="${bean.map.property}" using a DynaForm

> I have a question for the folks in general. What is the main
> reason for using the DynaActionForm class (as opposed to
> writing your own ActionForm)? While you don't have to write
> your own class with DynaActionForm, aren't you restricting
> yourself to using Struts taglibs (especially the bean
> taglibs?). What if you want to use JSTL now or sometime in
> the future? With the IDE's that we all use today, creating an
> ActionForm class with getter/setter methods is a breeze.
> Hence, what do you truly gain by using DynaActionForm? Giri

As mentioned, you can use DynaForms with JSTL just fine, and even with
modern IDEs, not having to write and maintain a class per form is a
major win for me.

James Turner
Owner & Manager, Black Bear Software, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author:
    MySQL & JSP Web Applications:
        Data Driven Programming Using Tomcat and MySQL
    ISBN 0672323095; SAMS, 2002

Co-Author:
    Struts Kick Start
    ISBN 0672324725; SAMS, 2002