The best intro to Velocity I saw was in Ted Husted's "Struts in Action" book
chapter 17.
If you can, try and get hold of a copy and take a look.
["Struts in Action" by Ted Husted, Cedric Dumoulin, George Franciscus, David
Winterfeldt, published by Manning]
Its just a short chapter giving a very brief info, but until the time I read
it Id always thought velocity was complex and obscure. From what I saw in
Ted's book though it seems easy to use, convienient and very powerful. Im
not using either JSP or Velocity at the moment (I do funny business with
org.w3c.dom classes ;-> - but if Id had Teds book earlier...), but if I had
to choose one or the other I reckon Id pick Velocity. (Mind you I also have
a pathelogical dislike of JSP so may be biased...)

Velocity comes with some 'velocity tools' that do much the same as the
struts tags - indeed Velocity does a lot of the same sort of 'beans in
contexts' stuff that JSP does.
>From what you say about your planned application, Id say you want to make
use of the struts nested forms stuff. Im not sure if there is direct support
for this approach with velocity or not. Hopefully someone reading this knows
and can enlighten us :-)

You may be better off taking the more common approach of using JSP and
making use of the same struts nested tags, tiles, and JSTL, etc for which
there are plenty of people on the list who can help you...