I have used OJB in two project. Be sure you know the performance impact. It
is a great tool. But, it will take you a while to learn how to use it
"effectively". The caching is all or none (you can spin your own) and the
fine grained control that you have over object materialization is something
you need to understand. I would say for you to make sure you understand how
to use the Proxy. If you don't you will be creating massive amounts of
objects and slow your performance drastically. IMHO, I don't think that OJB
is the answer for all projects. The reduction that you find in your own code
as compared to the time it takes to become completely familiar with an
evolving code base is pretty dramatic. Like mentioned earlier. I think that
after a 1.0 final version is released then the community will have more time
to update the docs and write some books. When that happens I am going to
take another look at it. Until then... I just can't keep up and I don't
think that it is performant for the "ignorant" (i.e. me :-)) All I can say
is if you are going to learn OJB right then spend some time scouring the
scads of source and see what is truly going on. "Use the source Luke!" :-)
Personally, I just don't have the time for that and I am more productive
using a tweak of the Sun recommended DAO Pattern.

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245
F (406) 862-0354