I also often call a .do first and don't feel anything bad about it.

How else could you prepopulate a form bean to be used by a view? By
putting the database access for view creation into jsp? Most ugly.

I have quite a lot of calls to ".do?id=123" On these id's I query my
database mostly receive a collection (narrowed resultset via where
id=123). After that I populate my formbean with that collection and call
a view and <logic:iterate> over this collection.

I don't know if that's good style, but I don't see a much different way
that could be better.