I am planning on putting a small heartbeat program as part of my Struts
application. The heartbeat program will request HTTP headers from an
external web server every 5 minutes or so, and if the response is not a
200,will send email to 3 people.

I plan on using a java class that starts a thread in the init method of the
controller servlet. This thread will sleep for 5 minutes between sending
requests to the external web server. It in turn will call a custom
mail-sending class if the response is not 200.

First, does anyone have any code like this, before I start coding,
Second, any comments on my approach,
Third, is there a better way (in Java of course).

Thanks for any comments you have

Ron