From: Expedito Reinaldo da Silva Júnior [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 12:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Struts Tools

Hi, All!

I don´t know if I'm asking to the right list, but I have a question: I'd like to know
what's the best IDE/tool to help construction web applications with Struts. I've seen
some tools in the Struts resources page but I'm not impressed with them. In truth, I
thought in a tool helping us to 'draw' pages with areas (tiles), buttons, input boxes,
etc, in a way that we can access its properties and configure its name, validation
rules, default values and so on. After creating our 'views', we could make the
sequence of pages, like forward and redirect pages; and all visually. After all, the
tool could generate my JSPs and the struts-config.xml file correctly. From the input
boxes we could know what input fields the view need and generate the expected
DynaBeans, with the respectives validations rules (previously setted). Following this
idea, I thing we can generate our Views, FormBeans (DynaBeans) and Validations, and
the ActionBean's skeleton; the user will just need to program the
business rules (ActionForm.execute()).

I've recently searched for drawing tools to create such 'framework' (or ide) and I
find that MS Visio and System Architect has features that could produce this results.
In truth, I want something like AllienFactory
(http://www.alien-factory.co.uk/struts/struts-index.html), but doing much more things
visually.

A few days ago, I've managed some training courses and I find that the big problem
about the Java Language and the technologies it involves are the IDEs we have! They
are very poor (I don't know about JBuilder... I know it's very good...)!!! How can we
convince VB and Delphi programmers to migrate to Java with such tools?? So, I was
looking at ASP .NET and its IDE facilities (I sugest you to know and you will
undertand me) and that time I thougth 'why cannot we have something like this'?? I
really don't like the 'DarkSide', but its framework helps a lot its programmers.

Struts is the right framework,
because its MVC separation allow us to generate a tool to reach such facilities. What
do you think about it????? Please help me make Java very easy besides a great
language!!! I know that good Java programmers are also great experts in Design
Patterns, architects and so on, but our language
(Java) can really grow substancially in the world with such programmer's requisites???
Don't you think a great IDE could help?

Thanks all and sorry my bad english.

Expedito Jr.