That doesn't seem right.  What version are you using?

I recently finished cactus tests on the logic tags, and I test exactly
what you've described without failures.

In fact, I just tried this in a test.jsp:
<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld" prefix="logic" %>
<%
  java.util.Map emptyMap = new java.util.HashMap();
  pageContext.setAttribute("emptyMap", emptyMap);
%>
  <logic:empty name="emptyMap">emptyMap empty</logic:empty><br>
  <logic:notEmpty name="emptyMap">emptyMap not
empty</logic:notEmpty><br>

....works fine.

You probably forgot to add the taglib declaration:
  <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld" prefix="logic" %>

If you did not do this, then you will see exactly what you've described.

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
cannot read them."
        - Mark Twain (1835-1910)