Well, they're not there for "convenience", as the exercise app won't
work without them.  I certainly haven't modified them, either.  You can
use those copies, or copies you got from elsewhere.  I haven't specified
any particular version of the reference implementation, and I really
don't know what version is being used on the build system.  At this
point, there are only minor bug fixes in the latest reference
implementation (I believe).