I don't know about "best way", but I usually set the default values in the field's
declaration:

public final class MakeACallForm extends ActionForm {

        private String name = "George 'I Like War!' Bush";
        private String telephoneNumber = "1-800-DA-WHITE-HOUSE";

        ... getters and setters for above ...

}

-= J