The example app breaks the rule that all jsps should be fronted by an action. You should never access a jsp directly through a url. The action sets up all the data for the jsp and places it into the request or session.

It seems like a lot of work to implement this in PHP when it's already done in Java. To each their own I guess :-).

David

From: Dan Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: handoff to ActionServlet question
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:31:00 -0600

I am currently working on porting the Struts concept to PHP (can I
cry on your shoulder now?)  My hopes are to do a more complete job
than phrame.

On to my question.  The way I see it, ActionServlet is only
initialized when the url-pattern matches that specified in the
web.xml file.  So in the case of a request such as

/struts-example/index.jsp

struts plays no part at all.  If this is in fact the case, then
when/where are the Application.properties placed into the context of
the jsp page.  Also, say on my front page I had an html select with
information from my datasource.  It seems to me like the *.jsp could
get at this stuff to fill in the form bean unless the logic was
placed in a scriptlet.  Does that mean that if the index page has
information from the datasource (like the most recent news articles)
then the index must be an index.do?

Thanks for the help!

Dan Allen

Daniel Allen, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>