Why not using Microsoft's SQL server JDBC driver type 4?

-
Rabih

-----Original Message-----
From: Murray, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 24 February 2003 09:04
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Communication link failure

Hi all,

I'm having a problem reconnecting to a database after a number of hours
of
inactivity or of the database times out for any length of time.

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Communication
link
failure

My datasource definition reads as follows:

<data-sources>
<data-source
        autoCommit="false"
        description="database1"
        key="db1"
        minCount="2"
        maxCount="4"
        driverClass="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
        url="jdbc:odbc:database1"
        user="auser"
        password="apassword" />
<data-source
        autoCommit="false"
        description="database2"
        key="db2"
        minCount="2"
        maxCount="4"
        driverClass="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
        url="jdbc:odbc:database2"
        user="anotheruser"
        password="anotherpassword"/>
</data-sources>

I've tried adding autoReconnect to the datasource definition, either as
property or as part of the url, but this has no effect, other than to
cause
errors when the config is being parsed.  The Java application server
we're
using is SAP's J2EE engine (formerly known as In-Q-My)

Is there another way to force a reconnect? A different driver set
perhaps?

any help would be appreciated

Mark