> IIRC, you also had a bunch of other getIds/setIds methods. This can
confuse the
> heck out of bean introspection. Make sure you only have those 4 methods
defined.

I finally realized that was part of the problem.  When I cleaned it up and
pulled the other junk out, it worked.  When I added back in the
public void setIds(int i, String id)
it broke it and it shouldn't have.  It's working now and the method is
called
public void setId(int i, String id)
(ironically I only use it internally within other methods of my ActionForm
class, that could refer to the private variable anyway)

> In this case, the indexed get/set methods are omitted, which suggests that
> Struts doesn't make use of them. I'm not sure what you're implying by
"...you'll
> see that the individual element getter/setter methods have TOTALLY
different names".

Look farther down at the
"private String stringArray" stuff -- they have
getStringArray/setStringArray methods, and then they have
getStringIndexed/setStringIndexed -- two separate values (stringArray is one
String[], stringIndexed is another String[]).

I took that to imply that they couldn't have overlapped them and have
setStringArray(String[] array) as well as setStringArray(int i, String s)
within the same class.  My recent experience with BeanUtils.populate
throwing a servletException until I commented out setIds(int i, String ids)
seems to me as "proof."

I'd love to hear some higher-octane Struts developer types (Ted?  Craig?)
chime in here and explain what BeanUtils.populate is really doing.