Yes I think templates with templates is good idea, as long as you
are aware for each template you need two JSPs, one to instantiate
the template and the other for the content.

> I'm concerned that "run an <html:form> outside all the shareable and
> non-shareable tiles" will severely limit the true flexibility
> of tiles as
> clearly HTML <FORM ..> cannot be nested and so you would not
> be able to
> insert a tile that say asked for one or more input fields
> with a submit. I
> guess you could change your "global" <FORM... action="">
> usind javascript to
> post to a different action but that seems yukky in the extreme.

Except for the case, when a business has lots of HTML Input element
 (say 10-30) inside a HTML Form! This is not a limitation if it
is user requirement, for example a complex data entry suite.

It is possible to have HTML Form inside another HTML Form, but you
have to implement with a slight-of-hand. A trusty IFRAME which
is source another JSP with another HTML Form will do the trick.

> We use this "run an <html:form> outside all the shareable and
> non-shareable
> tiles" for wizards and this works really nicely as clearly
> data is entered
> on one page before "posting" to the next page.
>
> I hope I'm on track so far?

I guess we are on the same page. What I am talking about is
regionalising certain key areas of the web page design. These
area become shareable and non-shareable tiles.

> All I would ask is that is there a way to avoid the "run an
> outside all the shareable and non-shareable tiles" and have a
> different
> mechanism for changing pages (sorry haven't seen amazon for a
> while so do
> not know their layout) - this would clearly be a problem if
> you wanted to
> "post" values from one page on changing page. Maybe using a
> <A..> may be
> possible to change pages.

Why not incorporate the mechanism for changing pages as part
of the form. Struts gives us the tools, DispatchAction, and
LookupDispatchAction, so why not use them? Of course you can
program some fancy JavaScript to programmatically submit
forms, and YMMV, but it is just eye candy after all.

In anycase you do not have to avid Amazonite! Just be aware
of the tab navigation idiom in web design.

--////--

--////--

--
Peter Pilgrim,
Struts/J2EE Consultant, RBoS FM, Risk IT

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
             Regulated by the Financial Services Authority