Unfortunately, sometimes people are stuck using whatever their sys
admins install.  I can install latest versions on my own box, but if
working on one of our departmental machines, I'm stuck with NS4.7 for
now.

Also, depending upon your target audience - much of the world and even
the US uses what we consider outdated computers and network
connections.  Trying to access even yahoo mail while in India several
years ago was obscenely slow.

I still have clients who stubbornly cling to lynx and mutter at me when
I suggest they try a graphical web browser.  =)

Becky