Please don't flame - I'm not trying to start a tiles vs frames debate.

If bandwidth is absolutely critical then you may want to consider (shock!
horror!) frames or use inline IFrames. Tiles is great but will produce a bit
of extra output over frames as it will generally be used to render the
entire page, header, body, menu footer etc.  Images should be cached by the
browser, as will other add-in files if you use references to external .js
files etc.

I think it will be unlikely that you could save much bandwidth by using
frames but you may be able to reduce the bandwidth a little - if you really,
really have to - but this will be offset by the (significantly?) increased
difficulty of managing and developing with frames, particularly. Personally
I do not favour frames.

Tiles makes it much, much easier to manage layouts but is analagous to a
jsp:include (but oh so much more powerful - see link in Cedric's email for
earlier thread) so will not, in itself save bandwidth.

You can still use IFrames with tiles and this combination can be great for
say a menu that needs to flick between a few options - I guess you could use
javascript to dynamically update the reference in an IFrame and this will
save bandwidth.

H.