Wow, man, like I am....aroused.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Vic Cekvenich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 6:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: deploy with ant, best practices

Since I get the joy of being on many clients sites I pick up things.
Here is something that started being better than Ant (Ant is still great
for builds).
So here is how I develop:

Lets call this method "developing live".
Using Resin you can make it persist a session to a file, during
development. Since resin (and tomcat) reload classes and xml (resin only
I think, and resin also complies for you, using Jikes.,etc).
So my dev. environment is excaly like a war, with lib under web-inf. As soon
as I change a class or xml, it is auto recompiled and session is
saved to file.
The effect is that as I change a few lines, I can hit refresh on the
page I am on, and have the new expects.
Without this I had to build, (maybe restart if xml changed), login, and
navigate to the problem screen, usually 5 screens down.

With "live", I can just touch up a file and refresh. And auto ant at end
of day.

Also on topic of development.... if you have a laptop or high end
graphics card, you can develop with 2 screens! (A client told me 1st).
It's so cool:
My left monitor shows a split of browser and app server console. My right
monitor shows IDE code full screen. So I change code in editor,
and in my left monitor I click refresh browser... and I see console
ouput log.debug. Sweet.
I use Eclipse because of plug ins and SWEET cvs. Eclipse makes CVS easy
and reliable. Everything else I have tried over the years, made CVS an
issue.

hth,
.V