>>:). In any case, OTI is an ex-Smalltalk IDE shop, so I presume there's
>>a strong NIH syndrome there similar to most other IDE's I've run
>>across --
>
>Then why is there an Emacs keybinding preference setting but none for vi?
>
>David
Huh? I can't quite understand what you are asking David. If you are
asking why emacs "instead of" vi -- I can only offer that perhaps
Emacs users asked them for it repeatedly (OTI used to build VisualAge
suite of products before being acquired by IBM, and perhaps found the
emacs demands harder to ignore :).

If you are asking "why emacs at all?" given what I said about their
NIH syndrome, I have to point out that the emacs key-binding support
in Eclipse is much like the key-binding support within Visual Studio
or .Net IDEs.. they are very poor implementations, and I'd rather not
have them at all. It is a great mistake to think that just by simply
rebinding keys you can get emacs-like behavior.. if you've used things
like the keyboard macros, key-rebinding support, regexp search, file
commands etc. etc., you will see that "deeper" integration can provide
a lot more benefits. I think an open "plugin-based" IDE like Eclipse
can do much, much more.. by actually embedding Emacs within the IDE as
a true component plugin, much like it allows the embedding of multiple
HTML/JSP editors, viewers or VCM tools etc.