Do we have an idea if same is true of the JSTL FMT tag?
(bean tags are now redundant to JSTL).

.V

David Graham wrote:
That's not all that surprising because the java.text.* classes have always been rather slow. I think they create a lot of objects while processing text which slows them down. I've found that I don't use paramterized messages very often anyway.

David

The only caveat I would give is that messages that have parameters are on the order of 100 times slower than those that do not. I did some tests on this a while back and found that the MessageFormat class is the bottleneck. I wrote some unit tests against MessageTag that tracked the time to perform the parsing. Taking the String "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall" as the first test case and "{0} sat on the wall" as the second (and passing it the appropriate parameter) gave the following results:

500000 unparameterized requests took 296 milliseconds. // "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall"
5000 parameterized requests took 10607 milliseconds. // "{0} sat on a wall"

YMMV, but if so let's try and find out why. The disparity here is just incredile.

-= J