It's up to the JSTL implementations to decide how to implement the message tag. My guess is that they will use the MessageFormat class.
You could always look at the jakarta taglibs implementation to see how they do it.

David

From: Vic Cekvenich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How fast is <bean:message>?
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:39:06 -0500

Do we have an idea if same is true of the JSTL FMT tag?
(bean tags are now redundant to JSTL).

.V

David Graham wrote:
That's not all that surprising because the java.text.* classes have always been rather slow. I think they create a lot of objects while processing text which slows them down. I've found that I don't use paramterized messages very often anyway.

David

The only caveat I would give is that messages that have parameters are on the order of 100 times slower than those that do not. I did some tests on this a while back and found that the MessageFormat class is the bottleneck. I wrote some unit tests against MessageTag that tracked the time to perform the parsing. Taking the String "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall" as the first test case and "{0} sat on the wall" as the second (and passing it the appropriate parameter) gave the following results:

500000 unparameterized requests took 296 milliseconds. // "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall"
5000 parameterized requests took 10607 milliseconds. // "{0} sat on a wall"

YMMV, but if so let's try and find out why. The disparity here is just incredile.

-= J