Exactly.  When performance is key, you can have Struts use JSP directly.
Of course, with how the plugin is now, the request will still be sent to
Cocoon which would reject it.  As for the processing time it takes for
Cocoon to reject it, I don't know.  My guess is it would depend on whether
Cocoon was using compiled sitemaps or not.

Again, of course you could rewrite the plugin so it only processes
requests ending with "coc", but then you couldn't wrap existing struts
applications without modifying all the forwards in struts-config.xml.

Don