Ah, I see what you are talking about.  How about this:

- Add a set-property to the plugin like
   <set-property property="use-suffix" value=".foo" />
- If present, only paths that end in the specified suffix will be
forwarded to Cocoon first, and all others handled by Struts normally.
- If not present, pass every request to Cocoon first.

Good idea.  It looks like I better fire up a real project and all its
trappings.  Again, thanks for the good feedback and ideas.

Don