Hi,
I have a following setup and works for me, may be u
also wanna try it
in my Log4J properties file i have defined
 <appender name="STDOUT"
class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
         <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d
%-5p [%t] %C{2} (%F:%L) - %m%n" />
      </layout>
   </appender>

 <root>
      <priority value="WARN" />

      <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
   </root>

also in web.xml file i have setup debug parameter in
action servlet definiation to 4
<init-param>
      <param-name>debug</param-name>
      <param-value>4</param-value>