No, its not a runtime expression.

If you look at the code in FormTag you'll see that its not

         results.append("\" action=\"");
         results.append(response.encodeURL(RequestUtils.getActionMappingURL(action,
pageContext)));
         results.append("\"");

It simply pulls the action mapping from the config.

I changed my code to

         results.append("\" action=\"");
   // check if we have a bean thats exposing a formaction property, if so, use that
property, otherwise use our assigned action value in the jsp page

     try {
        Object value = RequestUtils.lookup(pageContext, beanName,"formaction", null);
        if (value != null && !value.toString().equals(""))
        {
          this.action=ResponseUtils.filter(value.toString());
          System.out.println(value.toString());
        }
      } catch (Exception e)
      {