Hi Ronan

You'll get this when you go directly to the page for the user to login.
Instead, setup a resource that is protected by Container Managed
Security eg. /userHome.do, which will then take you to your login page.
Once login is successful, you will be fowarded on to /userHome.do

Once you've got a logged in user via CMS, you can use Filters (if using
a servlet 2.3 container) to make sure the users session is setup with
all required objects.

To log out, simply call session.invalidate()

Regards
Scott Barr
www.exergonic.com.au