Could it be that your action class is in package:

package src.ginsu.strutsApp;

and in your struts-config.xml you are trying to load

type="ginsu.strutsApp.AddFileAction"

ie. package ginsu.strutsApp

Dan Tarkenton wrote:

Hello all. I apologize for the size of this message,
but I thought it necessary to include some of my
source.

I am trying to do a very basic thing here.  I trying
to pass form data to an Action object.  However i am
getting the following tomcat error, when I submit from
http://localhost:8080/ginsu/test/addFile.jsp :

*************** Begin My Error ***********************

HTTP Status 500 - No action instance for path /addFile
could be created

type Status report

message No action instance for path /addFile could be
created

description The server encountered an internal error
(No action instance for path /addFile could be
created) that prevented it from fulfilling this
request.

*********** End My error **************************

I have consulted both the Struts in Action book as
well as the struts-example web app.  I just don't see
where my problem resides.  So I thought it best to
consult you more experienced struts users.  My first
guess is that I have configured struts-config.xml
incorrectly.

I will first list my struts-config.xml file (which is
where I _think_ my error may be), my addFile.jsp (a
simple form), my AddFileForm (struts FormBean), and my
AddFileAction class (Struts Action).

I hope you guys can see something obvious.  Here's
hoping.

********* struts-config.xml ***************

<!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC

"-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts
Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_0.dtd";>

<struts-config>

 <!-- ========== Form Bean Definitions
=================================== -->

<form-beans>
<form-bean name="contentForm"
type="ginsu.strutsApp.ContentForm" />
<form-bean name="addFileForm"
type="ginsu.strutsApp.AddFileForm" />
</form-beans>
<!-- ========== Global Forward Definitions
============================== -->

 <global-forwards>
   <!-- every Action class will forward to
XSLServlet, the View component of ginsu -->
   <forward name="xslServlet"  path="/XSLServlet" />
 </global-forwards>

 <!-- ========== Action Mapping Definitions
============================== -->

<action-mappings>

<action path="/test" type="ginsu.strutsApp.ContentAction"
name="contentForm"> </action>
<action path="/addFile" type="ginsu.strutsApp.AddFileAction"
name="addFileForm"
input="/test/addFile.jsp"> </action> <action path="/admin/addFormBean"
type="org.apache.struts.actions.AddFormBeanAction"/>

<action path="/admin/addForward"
type="org.apache.struts.actions.AddForwardAction"/>

<action path="/admin/addMapping"
type="org.apache.struts.actions.AddMappingAction"/>

<action path="/admin/reload"
type="org.apache.struts.actions.ReloadAction"/>

<action path="/admin/removeFormBean"
type="org.apache.struts.actions.RemoveFormBeanAction"/>

<action path="/admin/removeForward"
type="org.apache.struts.actions.RemoveForwardAction"/>

<action path="/admin/removeMapping"
type="org.apache.struts.actions.RemoveMappingAction"/>

</action-mappings>

</struts-config>

******* end struts-config.xml *******************

And now my jsp form:

******* Begin addFile.jsp ***********************

<head>

<title>Add an XML File to Slide</title>

</head>

<form method="POST" action="/ginsu/addFile.do">

<th align="right">
Filename:
</th>
<input type="text" name="filename" value="">

     <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit
filename">
     <input type="reset" name="reset" value="Reset">
</form>

****** End addFile.jsp ************************

My FormBean:

****** Begin AddFileForm.java *****************

package src.ginsu.strutsApp;

import org.apache.struts.action.*;

public class AddFileForm extends ActionForm {

protected String filename = null;
public String getFilename() {
return this.filename;
}
public void setFilename(String filename) {
this.filename = filename;
}
}

****** End AddFileForm.java ********************

And finally, My AddFileAction class:

****** Begin AddFileAction.java ****************

package src.ginsu.strutsApp;

import ginsu.content.adapter.*;
import org.apache.struts.action.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.StringTokenizer;
import java.util.Vector;
import javax.xml.transform.dom.DOMSource;
/**
*
* @author tarkentond
*/
public class AddFileAction extends Action {
public ActionForward perform (ActionMapping
mapping,
ActionForm form,
HttpServletRequest
request,
HttpServletResponse response) {
AddFileForm addForm = (AddFileForm)form;
String fullPath = addForm.getFilename();
StringTokenizer tokenizer = new
StringTokenizer(fullPath, "/");
Vector temp = new Vector();
while (tokenizer.hasMoreTokens()) {
temp.addElement(tokenizer.nextToken());
}
String slideFileName =
(String)temp.lastElement();

String slideUri = "/files/" + slideFileName;
try {
ContentAdapterImpl adapter = new
ContentAdapterImpl();
adapter.initDomain("ginsunamespace", "root");
adapter.createFile(new
FileInputStream(fullPath), slideUri);
DOMSource dom =
adapter.retrieveXml(slideUri);
request.setAttribute("dom", dom);
} catch (Exception e) {
request.setAttribute("exception",
e.toString()); }
return mapping.findForward("xslServlet");
}
}

******* End AddFileAction.java ********************

Thanks in advance for your time and effort looking
over this long email.

-Dan